Graduate Student Thesis TimelineDegree Requirements
Research and Thesis:
- Choose your Advisor and Advisory Committee.
- Submit a Thesis Proposal (Sample Thesis Proposal).
- As you find journal articles for references, check for issue numbers and journal abbreviations (CASSI software on a CD-ROM workstation in Reference area of Scholes Library).
- Build an Endnote file to manage your references (software available on the jobs server (contact the Engineering and Science Librarian for details)
- Use the following as guides for the prescribed thesis format:
- If you wish to copy any figures or tables for use in your thesis, copyright permissions may be needed.
Pre Oral Defense For Ph.D. Candidates: Ph.D. Qualifier examination should be taken by the second semester of the program (Guidelines).
- Thesis draft goes to Thesis Committee Members with the Thesis Review Form. Allow committee two (M.S.)/three (Ph.D.) weeks for review, and send a copy to Katie Decker for format review.
- Submit a thesis draft to Katie Decker in the Dean's Office for format review. Obtain a signed Acceptance Form after your thesis formatting passes review.
- Submit an application for Graduation (available online and at Student Service Center in Seidlin Hall).
- Set up a time and date for your Thesis Defense, checking dates with Committee Members. The Dean's office will find a Chair for your defense.
- Notify Katie Decker of time and date of the Defense and submit two thesis copies for display (one copy in the CACT Office and one copy in the Assistant Dean's Office). Theses must be on display one week for Masters, and two weeks for Ph.D. degrees.
- Take the format Acceptance form to Seidlin Hall to pay the fee for binding:
Masters - $32
This fee includes binding for the four mandatory copies, one copy for you, one for your advisor and two for the library.
Ph.D. - $98
The doctoral thesis includes binding of the four mandatory copies (see Masters) plus publication of the abstract in Dissertations Abstracts and transformation to microfiche.
Additional copies - $16 per copy
Postage Domestic - $6 per copy
Postage International - $50 per copy
Copyright - $45 (UMI will register your copyright for you - Ph.D. only)
- Have the following ready at your Defense:
- Four (or more) signature pages on thesis quality paper signed by you and your thesis committee members.
- Four copies of your thesis (display copies may be used)
- Format Acceptance Form
- Print thesis copies on quality paper (cotton content - at least 25%, acid-free, 20-24 lb wt). Acceptable paper is available at the AU Bookstore. If the label does not have "acid-free", assume that it isn't. The library copies must be original printing. If color is used, all mandated copies must be color. Some color copying may be done at ITS (10 pages). Color copying may also be done at Office Services in Greene Hall ($.60/page). Call x2698 for a quote for large copying jobs.
- Submit thesis copies (paper and electronic) with completed signature pages, format acceptance form, blue circulation slip (see below), Business Office receipt and Copy Rights form to Katie Decker to complete the requirements for your degree. Forms will be given to you upon completion of the format review.
- Ph.D candidates need to submit a Proquest UMI form also, supplying keywords for an abstract search in Dissertation Abstracts.
- Return all Library books within 24 hours after your defense. Circulation personnel will certify a cleared account (blue slip of paper). Note that your library card will subsequently be deactivated.
Looking for a job? Check out these tips.
Questions? Contact the Graduate Office